John M. Lesher, MD, MPH
- Diagnostic musculoskeletal and peripheral nerve ultrasound evaluations
- Electrodiagnostic testing (EMG/NCS)
- Non-operative musculoskeletal and sports injury care
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection and Stem Cell
- Regenerative Medicine Treatment
As a Physiatrist at Carolina NeuroSurgery & Spine Associates, Dr. Lesher enjoys treating the whole person and their spine related condition. Dr. Lesher also specializes in treating shoulder, hip and knee pain. He has a special interest in the rehabilitation of golf-related spine injuries, and uses ultrasound in his practice to diagnose musculoskeletal and peripheral nerve injuries. He looks to incorporate regenerative medicine such as Platelet Rich Plasma or PRP injections and Prolotherapy when customizing patient treatment plans when appropriate.
Dr. Lesher has been a trusted partner and Physiatrist for over 14 years at Carolina NeuroSurgery & Spine Associates. He first became interested in becoming a doctor in part because of his positive relationships and experiences with his own family physicians while growing up. From an early age, he has always been intrigued at the complexity of human anatomy and physiology. A natural progression from that curiosity was to pursue medicine as his own life calling.
Dr. Lesher’s treatment philosophy encourages the ethos of “motion is lotion,” meaning putting less emphasis on the old dictum of “a pill for every ill.” Instead, Dr. Lesher focuses on helping his patients be active, regardless of stage in their healthcare journey. Dr. Lesher encourages every patient to develop a pain-free walking program with good posture, such as walking short distances 2 to 3 times a day, and making it a daily habit. He shares, “a daily walking routine is great for our spines and overall health and doesn’t require expensive gym equipment or memberships.”
Dr. Lesher enjoys working at Carolina NeuroSurgery & Spine Associates because there is a strong emphasis on providing comprehensive spine care that focuses on both non-operative and surgical treatment solutions.
“There is an excellent realization of true teamwork and collaboration between our on-site physical therapists, advanced practice providers and physicians that facilitate seamless care. Prospective patients should understand that because our medical group is an independently-owned, physician-centric, multi-specialty group, it’s not beholden to any healthcare organization.”
“As healthcare providers, we are encouraged and expected to do what is best for our patients–meaning we can refer patients without restriction to obtain the best care possible. The group also strives to bring innovative, state-of-the art care to the Charlotte-Metro region and maintains a strong commitment to ongoing medical education,” said Dr. Lesher.
Originally from Doylestown, PA, Dr. Lesher has enjoyed living in the Carolinas for over 14 years. He met his wife during his residency training while living in Seattle. His wife shares Dr. Lesher’s passion for patient care as she is also a physical and rehabilitation physician--which makes for lively dinner conversations! Together, they co-parent a furry, 4 legged, perpetual child named Zoe.
In his free time, Dr. Lesher follows his own advice to patients by enjoying an active lifestyle and hobbies such as paddle boarding, surfing and is a fledgling foilboarder. Not familiar with foilboarding? If you are a patient of his, feel free to ask him more about it! To sum up his favorite hobbies, he prioritizes any time on the water whether that be local lakes or ocean!
Dr. Lesher is also an avid sports supporter of any and all Philly based teams in addition to college basketball–making sure not to miss any March Madness action. He has now added the new local MLS soccer team, Charlotte FC to his list of favorite sports teams!
- Board Certification: Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Subspecialty Certification: Sports Medicine, Electrodiagnostic Medicine, Registered in Musculoskeletal Sonography (RMSK)
- Fellowship: Musculoskeletal Medicine and Interventional Spine, Dept. of Orthopedics, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- Residency: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Medical School: Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA
- Master of Public Health: Tulane University School of Public Health
Affiliations & Memberships
- American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- North American Spine Society
- Spine Intervention Society
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine